Every day, you pull up at your office, get out of your vehicle and on your way to the entrance, you have one single thought in your mind. “Has the stress already started building up”? This is a common issues with most employees. To be frank; there isn’t much one can do about it! Given the job pressure, deadlines and other things to deal with, stress has become a part of your everyday life; especially at your workplace.
If you have already been through this type of situation, then there is no need to tell you how it can affect your performance and at the same time, your mental health. However, your company is not going to entertain such reasons, which in fact is a valid one. They would sweep it under the carpet as an “excuse”. To make things worse, you might have to face consequences, which is absolutely uncalled for! So, what option do you have? Do you have any options? Well, stress is an integral part of office work, there is no way you can avoid it. However, you can do something which would help in reducing stress and allow you to relax. Make your workplace a fun place! It works like magic!
Why is it Important to have a Fun Environment at your Office?
It is said that most of the business owners and establishments think that all work and no play help to increase the productivity of their workers. However, various researches have come up with a conclusion that it contradictory to this notion.
It has been proven that when your workplace has an element of fun to it, it helps in creating happy employees and at the same time, the rate of employee retention goes up by a great percentage. What business owners don’t tend to realize is happy employees are their best assets. Employees cannot be made happy by simply paying them higher or offering them more benefits. There is something extra that needs to be done to build a better culture. Wondering how workplace fun can help improve the work environment? Here are a couple of points which might convince you.
- It has been proven that fun at workplace plays a major role in enhancing motivation among the employees
- With a relaxing environment around, the employees would be stress-free. This can help in improving their level of productivity by a great extent.
- Fun and stress do not go hand in hand! So as long as there is fun at the workplace, the employees would remain stress-free. This in turn would again help to improve their level of productivity.
- To most of the employees, job satisfaction is the primary area of concern. With a little bit of fun at the workplace, they can certainly enjoy more job satisfaction.
- It can also be very useful when it comes to improving task performance.
Having fun at the workplace is a very effective way to manage and improve the emotions of the employees. It also helps in other ways; like improved teamwork, relationship building, and a mentioned, enhanced employee retention. It needs to be mentioned in this regard that all the companies expect their employees to work hard. However, what they do not realize is the fact that the employees should be given a conducive environment to work in. Excessive amounts of stress would invariably be counterproductive. Therefore, in order to increase the productivity of the employees and to motivate them to put in their hundred percent, it is imperative that they are offered some incentive; not necessarily in monitory form. A good and healthy work environment can do wonders when it comes to improving the performances of the team.
How to Create a Fun Workplace?
There are various ways by which you can add a touch of fun to your workplace. Here are a couple of tips for you, which you might try
- Casual Friday: Make it a norm that Friday would be a casual day.
- Friendly Competitions: Arranging friendly competition once a week will help the employees to narrow the social distance. Besides, the fun of it would certainly help to get rid of the stress and tension.
- Celebrate Big Moments: Has your team achieved something big? Don’t allow anything to prevent you from celebrating the moment. It would be a great idea to invite your boss to the gathering and make him see how happy their employees are. Take your time in celebrating these big moments. They would feed you with fresh oxygen for a long time to come.
- Create a Funny Environment: Instead of getting bugled down by the corporate policies, try and bring some changes to your workplace. If you have that joker guy in your team, encourage him to crack a joke once in a while. There can’t be anything more relaxing than bursting out in laughter.
- Off the Office Time is Important: Try and spend some quality time with your colleagues out of the office. This would help develop the interpersonal relationships, which can go a long way in building a team.
Enjoying your work and having passion is very important if you want to yield good results. This is the reason as to why it is important to make sure that your workplace has great culture; a place where you can breathe freely and have fun. Managements need to play an active role and take the initiative. After all, a happy, satisfied and stress-free team will deliver at the end of the day.